Sunday, July 7, 2013

Some times you miss out...

I thought that I had blown it.  Missed my opportunity.

Bill is a man in his 60's or 70's that I see him about once a month in a group that I am in.  I've known Bill for about six months and we have quickly struck up a friendship.  About four months ago Bill had surgery and he was in the hospital over night.  Before his surgery I found out when he would go under the knife and how long he would be in the hospital.  I did this intentionally because Bill doesn't have a church and I thought it would be a good way to reach out to him.

Surgery day came.  I knew he was going under the knife that day, but stuff just kept coming up.  I kept making excuses saying I'd go later and a week went by and Bill got out of the hospital.  I didn't have Bill's number or email.  I had no way to contact him.  A few weeks later I got together with the group where I see Bill and I heard that he might not be meeting with us again.  My heart sank.  I missed an opportunity.

What opportunity did I miss?  I'm not one who believes that Bill's spiritual experience hangs upon whether or not I follow through with what God is asking me to do.  God loves Bill way to much to depend on my follow through.  I do believe that I missed out on the opportunity to be used by God to impact Bill's life in a very positive way.  Or so I thought...

Yesterday I got together with the group and Bill was there!  I immediately started talking to him and seeing how we was doing.  I wanted to apologize for not coming to see him, but I decided that would be more about me than him.  I knew that God had given me a second chance to be a part of what God is doing in Bill's life so I spent some time specifically with him and God opened a door.  He told me how he used to sing with a men's chorus but can't anymore because of his job.  He really misses singing.  My church has an AMAZING  choir, so I jumped at the invitation to invite.  Bill wants to come next week.

Our conversation continued and he told me about his recovery, 41st anniversary and passing of his uncle.  All of these have happened since his hospital stint.  I was able to truly be with Bill simply because I was willing to take the next step in our conversation and turn it towards Jesus.

Showing people the love of Christ is easy.  It is showing up and speaking up when the opportunity arises.  Some times we are even called to make the opportunity happen.  Jesus isn't necessarily depending upon only me, but he is inviting me to be a part of an amazing journey.  He invites you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment